Tuesday, June 7, 2011

With a dreamy far-off look, and her nose stuck in a book

Today I was more than stoked to receive my first blog request!!  My bud since birth Ashley Shelley asked if I would compile a list of books that I would recommend.  Before you go and check out any of these books, I think you should pop on over to Ashley's blog The Christian Wife Life and get to reading.  You see, Ashley and I have literally known each other since she was born.  We played in the church nursery together, went to school together from 2nd grade until high school graduation, and have remained friends ever since.  In March, Ashley married Jordan, the perfect man for her, and has been settling into newlywed life.  Ashley and Jordan have an amazing, Christ-centered relationship and Ashley's blog is honest, real, and inspiring.


So, now that I've put in a shameless plug for Ashley's blog (which is WAY cooler than mine), I shall proceed on to my list of recommended reading. :)  I really love reading, but I don't get much time for reading for fun when school's in session.  Too many theorists, rhetoricians and composition scholars vying for my attention.  This is a list of books I currently have already read and love.  Later on this week, I'll try to post what's on my shelf in terms of upcoming summer reading. :)  Here goes . . . (WARNING:  This will be rather lengthy).


The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins 


You probably by now have heard of all the hype surrounding this trilogy.  Since it is a trilogy, and I don't want to spoil anything for you, I'll just set up the first book to pique your interest.  This series is set in a futuristic and dystopic society of Panem, which is a country formed out of what was left of North America after a series of natural disasters occur.  Panem is made up of twelve districts governed by The Capitol.  After suppressing a rebellion years before, The Capitol requires that each district provide two tributes to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death from which only one tribute will exit alive.  When Katniss' younger sister is chosen as tribute, Katniss volunteers to go instead.  What follows is an action-packed book in which Katniss fights to stay alive, not only for herself, but to provide hope for people in all the districts of Panem in ways that even she doesn't understand.


While this series sounds like it would be horrifically graphic, I honestly was impressed with the way Collins handled the violence of the setting.  The series moves very quickly, and it's honestly a series that, once I started, I didn't want to put down.  I finished the first book in a day and the rest of the series within a week.  The characters were compelling and Collins wrote in a way that drove you to keep pushing forward.  Also, be not deceived by the order of the books as you see them on the website I linked to.  The first book is The Hunger Games, the second Catching Fire, and the third, Mockingjay.  I just finished rereading the first book today, in fact.  If you want to read these books, I recommend you buy them or download the e-book as every young adult in the world is on the library waiting list. :)  Fun fact--the first Hunger Games movie is filming all over NC this summer!


Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan


Fans of the Harry Potter series will either love or hate Percy Jackson.  I, for one, love both Harry and Percy.  In the Percy Jackson series, the gods of Mt. Olympus are still alive and active today.  In fact, they still continue to parent demigods or "half-bloods."  Percy Jackson is one such demigod who seems to encounter trouble every where he turns.  He's constantly getting kicked out of school or causing problems.  However, once he comes to Camp Half-Blood he learns the cause for his problems. Each of the five books chronicles a different mythological challenge that Percy must overcome--everything from the Labyrinth to the Sea of Monsters. 


Riordan's series weaves lots of mythological tradition with a sarcastic tone in order to create a hilarious story.  The series is reminiscent of Harry Potter because each book documents another year in Percy's life.  The book is told from a first person perspective, allowing the reader to "hear" Percy's thoughts as he battles Medusa, Echidna, and so many other mythological creatures.  I love the series--it's a quick, but really fun read!


Black Heels to Tractor Wheels--A Love Story by Ree Drummond


I have rambled before about how much I love Ree (known through her blog as the Pioneer Woman) and her writing.  I was MORE than stoked when Ree announced that she was going to release her and Marlboro Man's (that's what she calls her cowboy husband) love story in book form.  Black Heels tells the story of how Ree, a girl who grew up on a golf course and loved the city, met, fell in love, and married a cowboy, and rode off into the sunset--almost literally.  At the same time that Ree was falling head over heels, her parents' marriage fell apart. Ree spins this genuine tale while providing honest glimpses into her life and what love takes.  


I love Ree's writing style.  She makes you feel as though you are there with her in the book.  Also, I imagine her telling me this story over coffee, just like she would a best friend.  She's honest about her faults and the crazy things she does (just wait until you get to the part about her yellow suit and the outdoor wedding!).  And if you haven't before now, you should check out her blog.  She's a woman of many talents--cooking, photography, writing.  And she's one of the main reasons I started blogging myself.  

Lowlands of Scotland Series by Liz Curtis Higgs


In this series, Higgs takes the Biblical account of Jacob, Leah, and Rachel and drops it into 18th century Scotland, creating the characters of Jamie McKee and Leana and Rose McBride.  Jamie has stolen his brother's blessing and inheritance and so must flee to his uncle, Lachlan McBride's home.  While there, Jamie hopes to pick a wife from one of his two cousins--Leana and Rose.  Initially attracted to Rose, the younger of the two sisters, Jamie does not notice Leana's love for him.  Through several instances of deception, Jamie's relationship to the McBride sisters becomes more complicated than ever.  Higgs weaves the Biblical account with Scottish lore in a way that creates a seamless story with characters you feel like you know.  


I've read this series through at least 3 or 4 times now--and that's saying a lot since each book is around 500 pages.  One of the most exciting things for me on my first read through was to wonder how Higgs was going to work in all the elements of the Biblical story--surely she wasn't going to have Jamie married to two women at once!  But Higgs shows a clear understanding of the narrative and how that narrative writes her characters' stories.  One word of caution with this series--while I believe that Higgs does a great job weaving a more contemporary telling of the Biblical tale, if you are familiar with the Bible story, you realize that the series might be suited for a slightly older audience.  But all in all, I really enjoyed the series. 


American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang


I loved this book so much I wrote a seminar paper on it. :)   This is a graphic novel, which is different from a comic book.  Yang's novel is made up of frames that illustrate the dialogue of the story.  In American Born Chinese, Yang spins three apparently unrelated stories.  Yang weaves the stories of the Monkey King, who desperately wants to fit in with the other immortals, Jin, who seeks to avoid ties to his Chinese heritage, and Danny, an American boy who tries to live a normal life despite the visit of his hyperbolically stereotypical and obnoxious Chinese cousin Chin-Kee.  While Jin's story is primary within the novel, Yang uses the other two stories to question ideas of belonging, identity, and heritage.  I really can't tell you much more without ruining the ending, but trust me--it's awesome!


Don't underestimate this book just because it's a graphic novel.  It certainly has a lot to offer, even if it is filled with pictures.  This book is a pretty quick read--great if you just have an afternoon off or if you're laying by the pool.  I've read it at least 5 times, and I notice new things about it each time I read.  I also find myself identifying with different characters each time.  


Well, that is just a small list of books I would recommend!  I hope this gives you an idea of some of the things I enjoy reading.  Expect a few more blog posts in the next few days about other genres I have read and books that I am planning on reading or are currently reading!


Now, go find a chair to curl up in and read a book!



Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Kellie said...

Mikayla has read the Lightning Thief and loved it. In fact, today she told me she needed to get the next books in the series. Glad you gave us some thoughts on some good reads. I am always looking for that! :)

June 7, 2011 at 8:38 PM  
Blogger LillianRenee♥ said...

This is exciting! Awesome job, Carrie. Awesome request, Ashley. It makes me want to compile a list of my favorite books :)

June 8, 2011 at 8:35 AM  
Blogger Ashley Shelley - The Christian Wife Life said...

You're too sweet, bud since birth. And I LOVE IT, thank you so much for doing that! I'm always up for more lists! I'd read a book list from you and Renee like every day haha. I'll probably read literally everything you mentioned. :) And I'll definitely let you know what I think of the last Harry Potter and what I'll get into next! So pumped!

June 8, 2011 at 2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear any feedback that you have :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home