Wednesday, April 20, 2011

This Is Not My Idea . . .

This morning when I woke up, I needed a little throwback to being a kid again.  These two clips are some of my favorite memories. :)


For some reason, I really loved obscure musical animated films when I was little.  I watched Happily Ever After:  The Snow White Story Continues as well as many others that I bet you've never heard of. :)  As long as they sang and danced, I was happy.  


One of my favorites was Thumbelina.  I think I secretly wanted to be the fairy princess when I grew up too.  I remember my mom taking me to this special theater in Raleigh where you sat at tables and ordered dinner to eat while you watched your movie.  And we saw Thumbelina there for the first time.  This has always been my favorite number from the movie, and I could still sing it even when I hadn't seen the movie for years! :)





In actuality, I don't remember watching The Swan Princess as a little kid.  I do however remember watching it when I was 15 years old and home from school with the worst (and only) case of the flu I've ever had.  Toon Disney was running a marathon of all three Swan Princess movies on repeat all day.  I think somehow in my feverish haze, between sleeping off and on all day I managed to cobble together all the pieces and see all three of the movies. This was absolutely my favorite number from the first movie, and sometimes when I don't like whatever I have to do that day, I sing to myself, "This is not my idea . . . of fun!" :)





Of course, I was a HUGE lover of all things Disney (and still am!).  Every summer when we would visit my dad's family in Wisconsin, we would go to the theater to see the new Disney movie that was out.  My first memories of going to see a movie in a theater are of The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin.  The Little Mermaid was my very favorite movie growing up--I watched it so many times the VHS doesn't work any more!  Now Beauty and the Beast takes the cake for me in terms of my favorite movie.  I think it's because the music and scenes make it so much like a musical rather than a children's film.  Plus, it doesn't hurt that it's about a brown-haired, brown-eyed girl who loves to read and receives the BEST library ever! :)



So how about you?  What were your favorite movies as a kid?

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

well its not like i am not a kid now, but i have always enjoyed pixar, and disney. and old movies....old musical classics. unfortunately, being raised with brothers we did not watch disney princess movies nor musicals usually...so 1/2 of the disney princesses i have not seen. Although i have seen LOTR all my life! lol.

April 20, 2011 at 8:45 AM  
Blogger Darcy Herlihy said...

Wow, I'm pretty sure we have exactly the same taste in Disney movies. I was sitting here reading this and going "yes...oh yes....yessss...YES!" I also loved (and still love!) Anastasia. I'll walk around singing songs from that all the time.

April 20, 2011 at 9:36 AM  
Blogger Ashley Shelley - The Christian Wife Life said...

That library..I always tell Jordan that is my dream. Or even just the library from the town, with the ladder, haha. I just want a library with a ladder.

I LOVED THUMBELINA...the songs are excellent in that movie. I just watched the whole thing on youtube not too long ago hahaha.

Oh my word that song from The Swan Princess...I used to love to watch that and think that maybe someday I would become swan-like. She gave me hope. hahah.

You know we love the same musically wonderful animated movies :) Thank you so much for posting this!

April 21, 2011 at 10:40 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

@Grace -- We will school you, my dear!

@Darcy -- Yes! I love Anastasia!

@Ashley -- I want a library with a ladder too. At IKEA they have one set up, and it makes me so very happy. You definitely did become swan-like, my dear! Hope you're doing well, and I'm excited to see you again soon! Love you!

April 24, 2011 at 9:29 PM  
Blogger Lady in Waiting said...

The more I read your blog, the more I realize we have in common. I LOVED Happily Ever After, and remember watching it over and over as a child. I even watched it again the other day. :) Thumbelina, Beauty and the Beast, and Sleeping Beauty were constant watches at my house. I still clearly remember going to see Pocohantas in theaters, and my grandpa snoring through it. haha. The Swan Princess was another constant. Ah, I just love classic Disney. :)-Kara

April 26, 2011 at 12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

neither the swan princess or anastasia were disney movies, but still classics! the swan princess is from nest entertainment & anastasia was made by 20th century fox.(:

November 28, 2012 at 7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear any feedback that you have :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home