Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A List of Purposes

A new year has come and everyone is talking about it.  I have never done the whole New Year's resolution things.  I know how I am when things get busy--I don't always get everything done.  If I didn't keep my resolutions, I would be frustrated, annoyed, disappointed in myself.  So for me, New Year's resolutions are more detrimental than helpful.  There are some things that I want to accomplish this year, however.  As a reminder to myself throughout the year, I thought I'd post about them here.  Similar to a resolution, but I promise not to beat myself up if I don't do all these things perfectly.


Here they are, in no particular order.  What I hope to accomplish in 2011.


1) I am purposing to spend more time with the Lord this year.  This should be a goal for every year, I know, but I really want to press into Him this year and learn all that I can.  This season is ripe for growth, and I want to take full advantage of it.  I want to study more frequently, with greater duration, and in greater depth.  


2) Spend less unnecessary time on the computer.  I waste so much time on the internet it's ridiculous.  There are much better things I could be using my time for (such as pursuing goal number 1).  While this doesn't mean I want to abandon my internet musings permanently--and I certainly won't forsake you, my blog readers--I want to limit the amount of time I spend doing pointless things online.  


3) Read more books that are not required for school.  Last semester by the time things were winding down, I realized that I had not picked up a book for fun in 2 months.  This is highly unusual for the little girl who brought a book with her EVERYWHERE while growing up.  I'd like to make a dent in the books that are already on my shelf, including The Irresistible Revolution, Mere Christianity, and many more.  Often, I slack off on my deep reading outside of school because I just want to do something "fun."  I am purposing to read more and to enjoy it.


4) Cook more.  Lately I have become seriously enthralled with all things domestic.  Recipes, food processors, mixers--you name it, I love it.  I want to try lots of different recipes this year and experiment some.  Part of experimenting is being okay with things going wrong or not being perfect.  That's really hard for me, but it's something I am working on and by God's grace, I will overcome.  If you have any awesome recipes, let me know! :)


5) Complain less, encourage more.  It's 50 times easier to find something to complain about than to make up your mind to speak positive things.  I purpose this year to speak positive things and encourage others around me.  I believe that words are powerful and they can speak into a person's life, positively or negatively.  So, I plan on being more of a Pollyanna this year instead of a Debbie Downer.  :)


And that's what I'll be up to this year.  Right now, I'm just soaking in some down time and enjoying get togethers with family and friends before heading back to school.  Excited for what this new semester holds and for what will take place in this new year! 

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Katie Axelson said...

I like numbers 1, 2, 3, 5 (I don't dislike four; I just don't yet have the desire to participate in it).

In my apartment, we've tried to be aware of our complaining for the last few semesters, and one of the things we've noticed is that we (and a lot of the rest of the world) complain to start a conversation.

<>< Katie

January 4, 2011 at 9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear any feedback that you have :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home